Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Why we take up Smoking

While driving back home yesterday I lit up a cigarette as usual. My colleague Ash asked me an interesting question, "Even though you were brought up with good values, lots of love and proper attention, still you took up smoking. What went wrong?"
I should say that I was startled for a moment. But then I realised its all a matter of perception. To me theres nothing wrong in smoking. Its a conscious decision that you take despite all the warnings written on the packet.

If I remember, I always wanted to take up smoking since my teens. My dad never touched the fag. So probably that was the reason I was even more attracted towards it. While on the other hand some of my friends, whose dads used to smoke, had an aversion to it.

Then again I saw the people from my native state, Bengal, never really considered smoking to be such a vice. Thats why the joke goes that "if you don't smoke, you are not a bong". But I never had such liberties since I am through and through a NRB(Non Resident Bong) with no connections whatsoever to the bong land. But all said and done, what surprises me most is the perception of some extremists (so I call them) towards smoking. "Lack of character" they say.

Oh me Gawd!!!! Come on! Gimme a break!! You must be crazy!!! Your very thought pattern itself is flawed! Well these are just some of the statements that would come to my mind if someone says that. But believe me, there are actually a few who belong to that category of extremists.

Well I would never sing paens to smoking. If it can be avaoided, it should. But for me, the white stick is a source of comfort. While I know well that its not really good for health. I realise it more when I run on the treadmill. But, like many others, I've never made New Year resolution to quit smoking and then take it up after a couple of weeks with a vengeance. If I quit, then I will do it for once and for all.

Till then - " Main Jindagi ka saath nibhaata chala gaya,
Har fiqr ko dhueyen mein udata chala gaya"

3 comments:

Shreyasi Deb said...

you bad boy! ;-)

DreamCatcher said...

it's never too late to quit. And freud has an interesting theory on why men smoke.

Shubhojit said...

DC - Ah Freud!! Is there anything he does not have a theory on? Well Freudian theories arn't applicable to me you see :)

Google Talk

delicious link